Common acromegaly examination exam questions for medical finals, OSCEs and MRCP PACES
Click on the the example questions below to reveal the answers
What further investigations would you do if you suspected acromegaly?
- FBC, U&E, LFT, bone profile, CRP
- Glucose, HbA1c
- Tests of other pituitary hormones: TFT, TSH, FSH, LH, ACTH, prolactin
- Diagnostic tests
- IGF-1 (if raised suggests acromegaly)
- Oral glucose tolerance test if IGF-1 raised (will fail to supress GH in acromegaly)
- MRI brain with contrast
What are the possible treatment options for acromegaly?
- Somatostatin analogue (e.g. octreotide)
- Transphenoidal hypophysectomy
- Can use radiotherapy if not suitable for the above
Click here for all the clinical examinations: how to examine, what to look for and how to present your findings