Questions about epistaxis (nosebleed)
Questions about epistaxis for doctors, medical student exams, finals, OSCEs and MRCS. Click on the plus symbols to expand see the answers.
In what condition is nasal packing contraindicated?
- Hereditary Haemorrhagic Telangiectasia (HHT/Osler-Weber-Rendu)
- Recognised by telangiectasia on lips and tongue.
- Do not pack as can cause more bleeding.
- Kaltostat or adrenaline soaked gelatine sponge if necessary.
What are the risks of cauterisation?
- Do NOT cauterise both sides of the septum as you will cause a septal perforation.
- Likewise excessive cauterisation unilaterally is also a risk.
Epistaxis revision for doctors, medical student exams, finals, OSCEs and MRCS