Common asthma exam questions for medical finals, OSCEs and MRCP PACES
Question 1. Non-invasive ventilation in asthma
How should NIV be used in acute asthma?
- If NIV is to be used it should be trialled in ITU setting with low threshold for intubation
Question 2. Discharge post-asthma
What needs to be in place on discharge from hospital?
- A robust self-management plan should be in place, preferably from specialist nurse
- Ensure the patient has enough medications
- Review and correct inhaler technique
- Review within 30 days by a clinician with expertise in asthma management
Question 3. Asthma in pregnancy
What are the changes to asthma management in pregnancy?
- Beta 2 agonists, inhaled steroids, theophyllines and leukotriene receptor antagonists can be used throughout pregnancy and labour
- If oral steroids are required clinically then they can be given as likely that benefit will outweigh harm
- If anaesthesia is required then local blockade is preferable to general
- Avoid use of prostaglandins as they can induce bronco-constriction
- Encourage women with asthma to breast-feed